- High-resolution, synchronized, multiplexed behavioral phenotyping system for rats
- Enables capture and analysis of a wide range of rat behaviors
- Small scale or high-throughput and workflow friendly
- Feeding options include paired or yoked, time and duration, food choice or behavior-based reward
- Time budgets, e.g., distance traveled, non-ambulatory budgets
- Wheel running and/or activity restriction
- Behavioral transition ethogram analysis
The Promethion line features the modular flexibility to support real-time behavioral studies in a home-cage setting with a small sample size or large-scale neurophysiological, pharmacokinetic and toxicological studies. Our high-definition behavioral phenotyping system for rats combines beam-break activity measurement with continuous input from all in-cage devices to capture a data-rich archive of activity with unbeatable temporal resolution. Second-by-second observations can discern seemingly subtle rat behaviors relevant to your investigations that would otherwise be missed by less precise systems. Select a stand-alone system or add Promethion metabolic measurement functions at a later date.
The Promethion Ethoscan behavioral phenotyping package is a built-in application within Sable’s Expedata software that analyzes the interaction of the animal with in-cage devices such as the food hopper, water bottle and enrichment devices. Combined with wheel running and non-wheel ambulatory budgets a behavioral transition matrix can be created for profiling individuals or cohorts. High definition resolution combined with a deep data field offer statistical powers. Also our digital systems are fully compatible with video tracking analysis systems from leading scientific manufacturers. Sable also gives you the flexibility advantage: gas analyzers, flow generators, multiplexers, software and interfaces can be used interchangeably for rat or mouse by adding the appropriate activity detector.
- Cage System with Additional Home Cage
- Cage Controller
- Mass Measurement Device
- Food Hopper
- Water Hopper
- Body Mass and Cage Enrichment Device
- Promethion Interface Module
- Data Acquisition and Analysis Software
- Data Acquisition Software for Multiplexed Promethion Systems
- Access Control Unit
- 3-D IR Beam Break Array
- Desktop Computer with Monitor
- Temperature Control Cabinet (Solid or Clear Door)
- Environmental Monitoring Device
- Heavy Duty Wire Shelf
- Telemetry Bases for Temperature and Activity
- Telemetry Bases for Temperature, Heart Rate and Activity
- Activity Wheel
*Quantity of individual components will vary, depending upon your sample size and/or number of cages.
In the graphs above, we show intake events over a 24-hour period by 8 C57BL/6J mice using logarithmic axes (error bars are 1 SE). The Promethion System’s ability to detect micro intake events is demonstrated by the point cloud extending into the lower left portion of the graph. These micro events constitute 30-40% of feeding events, however, they cannot be detected by conventional systems.
Promethion’s high resolution activity detection arrays capture actual activity and discard noise, giving an accurate indication of real activity (orange trace at the bottom of the graph). Body mass is shown as the black line at the top of the graph and energy expenditure (EE) is in blue. You can see that the EE drops to a low, relatively stable level when the mouse (in this case a 22 g C57BL/6J male) is inactive. The small oscillations visible in EE during inactivity are real, and are not detectable by lower-resolution systems. Then, with each bout of activity, you can see EE rising to a relatively stable level and falling back down to resting levels after the activity bout ceases. Due to Promethion’s high resolution, there is no blurring or smearing of the data.