Negative pressure isolation mouse cage for gnotobiotic, pathogen-free and bio-exclusion studies
The hACE2 transgenic mouse model will be valuable for evaluating SARS-CoV-2 infection antiviral therapeutic agents and vaccines, as well as understanding the pathogenesis of COVID-19.1 To ensure that researchers worldwide have access to this model, key biomedical research laboratories are utilizing state-of-the-art breeding techniques to quickly grow new K18-hACE2 transgenic mouse colonies.2 To keep microbes contained and ensure safety for researchers, Sable Systems offers the only metabolic and behavioral phenotyping systems with a negative pressure pathogen isolation cage, providing HEPA filtration on both incurrent and excurrent air flows.
The Promethion Isocage is ideal for metabolic and behavioral studies using germ-free or immunocompromised animals, as well as supporting murine SARS-CoV-2 research. This biocontainment cage starts out as the Tecniplast Isocage-P – then we customize it with magnetically mounted running wheel, food hopper, water bottle and body mass habitat. Everything is built into the cage lid, simplifying cage cleaning and animal maintenance. The Promethion Isocage connected to the Promethion Core metabolic and behavioral phenotyping system creates a stress-free environment with high air-flow rates, significantly reducing acclimation time for the animals.
- HEPA filters remove particles 0.3 microns and larger
- Dual incurrent HEPA filtration isolates the research animal from airborne pathogens
- Excurrent HEPA filter keeps pathogens in the cage
- Negative pressure airflow ensures pathogens in the cage only exit through the excurrent outlet port and HEPA filters
- Integrates with Promethion and Promethion Core metabolic measurement systems
- Food and water are magnetically attached to the lid simplifying cage cleaning and animal maintenance
Single Inlet and outlet ports for cage air flow evenly distribute the AALAS recommended 15 air-exchanges/hour flow rates used with Promethion metabolic systems and the sealed cable port provides power to mass monitors inside the sealed cage.
Running wheel, food hopper, water bottle and body mass habitat are magnetically attached to the cage lid, simplifying cage cleaning and animal maintenance.
Isolation cage with Promethion beam break activity monitor.
- Bao, L., Deng, W., Huang, B. et al.The pathogenicity of SARS-CoV-2 in hACE2 transgenic mice. Nature 583, 830–833 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-2312-y